Skip to main content

On Being a Grandma


I would like to introduce you to Little Miss Hailey Ann. Don't you think she is just adorable? I sure do! This little precious one is my first grandchild and I am so looking forward to having a part in her life.  All the thoughts and feelings that come with a new baby seem somehow exaggerated as a grandma.  I now realize even more than I even felt as a mom what is involved in raising a child.
Hailey was 3 weeks old before we were able to travel to see her and so as I sat in church after she was born my eyes were glued to Presley, an adorable 8 month old little peanut who sat on my lap. That’s how this Grammy got her baby-fix for the day. Presley’s little eyes just drink in all that is going on around her. Her head bobs and turns as she tries not to miss a thing in her surroundings. She pauses to intently study each person and action she sees.

As I watch her I am reminded of a song we sung in Children’s Church years ago. “Oh be careful little eyes what you see….” This little tune carries so much truth. What little eyes see, they soak in. It shapes how they will see life. It shapes their thought processes and views. And it begins early.

A few months ago my MIL (Mom-in-law) gave me a book titled “A Car Seat in My Convertible?” (A book I have yet to finish – each time I begin to read, tears come to my eyes because I so badly want to be a godly grandma!) Inside the cover the author, Sharon Hoffman, had written a note to me. “I pray blessings for you and the godly impact your life will bring in the hearts of your little ones.” That’s the kind of grandma I want to be.

As I step into this role of Grandma to Hailey Ann and Little One (due October 16th I can hardly wait!) I know I must be prepared to be a godly influence in their lives.  I can think of no better way to prepare than to focus my own eyes on the Savior and drink in the surroundings.

Psalm 121:1
I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from?


Psalm 123:1
I lift up my eyes to you, to you who sit enthroned in heaven.

Comments

  1. I've been waiting for a grandma blog=) Good work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DeDee! I`m getting back into the swing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

Move Your Faith From Private To Public

Have you ever wondered about the Bleeding Woman in Mark chapter 5? While we are on the subject, I seriously think we should consider giving her a name, that’s not something anyone wants to be known as. Maybe we should call her the Woman of Faith... But back to the subject. Or maybe it is part of the subject now that I think about it. I’ll get to that in a bit. Instead of receiving healing and going on her merry way as I often do, she moved to a position of worship in front of Jesus. Her faith compelled her to go to Jesus for healing and her faith also compelled her to worship Him publically. I don’t mind God knowing about all my junk, but I don’t necessarily like anyone else to know. Are you with me? I tend to want to only show the good and keep the bad and ugly hidden away. Keep it just between God and I. To move in front of Jesus and publically worship for healing meant others would know her problems and that she needed healing. She opened herself up to the eye of