Skip to main content

25 Days of Praise

Somewhere in the midst of the mad dash between Thanksgiving and Christmas, a stirring happens in my soul. With turkey and stuffing and pumpkin pie on my plate I name long list of things of which I am thankful for.


That list has barely left my lips when Black Friday begins the rush to splurge, buy, consume and want more, more, more. All in so called celebration of the coming of the Messiah. It’s the American way. And it just doesn’t seem to fit together. “I’m thankful for…”.and “I want….”

I’m not saying its wrong to want, obviously that’s not true. But it seems the thankfulness only lasts for a day or so when the flurry of wanting moves in and overshadows any thoughts of gratitude. Yes, deep inside I am still thankful for the basic necessities of life, but when the sale fliers arrive in my newspaper, my eyes get bigger than my checkbook. My wants turn into needs and I am suddenly not so grateful for what I have, but I would surely be grateful if I had this or that new gadget. Or that warm sweater. Or new dishes. Or a new tv. This list can go on and on and on and on and on and….. well, you get the picture.

Many blogs I have read lately spent November reciting what they are thankful for. It’s great, I definitely need to be reminded to be thankful. Today I am continuing that for 25 more days. Each day I will post something I am thankful for. My heart needs to be reminded to appreciate what I do have instead of wishing for more each day during this month-long pursuit of more.

So, join me in this adventure. 25 days of praise.  Praising God for His provisions.  I challenge you to comment each day something you are thankful for. I would love to hear your ending to the sentence: “I am thankful for …”

Day 1:
Today I am thankful for parents
who taught me about loving
and serving God, an absolutely
priceless value to my life.


Comments

  1. Sharon,
    I didn't know you had a blog-way cool! You really should write a book=) Today I am thankful for being a stay-at-home mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Busy But Bored

Bored. To my mom it is a four-letter word. In our home growing up, a chore was promptly assigned to whoever dared to use the "B" word. "There is never an excuse to be bored. There are so many ways to entertain yourself. If you're bored, you need something to do. Now go clean the toilets." This is just one of the many valuable lessons mom taught me. Thanks, mom. Even though I have been trained to not use such language, the "B" word has come to mind quite often lately.  I'm bored. Bored physically. Bored mentally. Bored spiritually. (I seriously hope my mom isn't reading this or I might be cleaning until Ground Hog Day!) My days are busy, busy, busy, filled with three part time jobs, being a wife, mom and pastor's wife; so having nothing to do is not the problem. Most weeks I need an extra day or two just to make it to the end of my to-do list. Busy but bored. I used to sense God's call on my life; dream of the things He would do thr

A Little Car and Learning to Trust

The telephone woke us. It was 1:15 a.m. Our oldest son was on the other end. “We need you to come pick us up. We hit ice and wrecked your truck. It’s not drivable.” My heart stopped. Relieved he and his wife were ok, I sent up a prayer of thanks. I jumped out of bed and gathered flashlights as my husband donned his coveralls, Carhart, hat and gloves. It was 31 degrees, a warm night for January in South Dakota. I sent up another prayer of thanks. Then I settled into my routine of pacing and praying. It’s what I do when I’m concerned and can’t do anything to help a situation. The phone rang again. It was my daughter-in-law. “I just need someone to talk to while Jeff is outside checking on the truck. I’ve never been in a wreck before. It is good we were on the bridge when we spun, otherwise we would have probably rolled.” I was so glad to hear her voice. So glad she was ok. She told me about what happened, then went on to tell me about her day. It had been her special day. Her Chr

Life Interrupted

I attended a Priscilla Shirer Simulcast this weekend. I’m fairly certain that God told Miss Priscilla what to say just because I would be there. Even the words of the songs and the words Anthony Evans spoke I’m sure were divinely orchestrated all for me. How does He do that?! The topic was “Life Interrupted”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t like interruptions. If I have exactly 30 minutes to pick up a few items and then get home to have supper ready, I’m not too thrilled inside when an interruption happens. Someone calls out my name… and wants to chat. Or the car won’t start. Or there is a line at the store. Sometimes the interruptions appear on a larger scale. Loss of employment. Chronic illness. Financial struggles. Strained relationships. Or when God overlooks your plans and sets His own in motion. These interruptions can leave us feeling anything from annoyed to abandoned. Jonah 2:8 offers a warning to us in the middle of our whining. “Those who cling to worthless idols t